Tuesday 30 September 2008

Guinea Pig

The new drug is signed off and due to start on Thursday. The side effects are been talked up, but the truth is they have no idea what effect it will have on me. Its only been tried on a handful of people before.. Apart from getting sea sick after taking some anti-sickness tablets I have not had any allergic reactions to any of the other drugs they have given me (fingers crossed this will continue).

Thursday comes quickly and I am in early. They give me various infusions to try limit any reactions I may have to the drug. After the drug is infused I have to wait around for at least 2 hours to see if I react. I have a minor reaction of getting short of breath but nothing serious. As a result I have to stick around a little longer. Now its back again to the waiting game to see if it works? It may take a week or so to see the results.

Thank you for all your messages of support. I received a dozen of them just as I was about to start the new drug. Not only did it make me look incrediably popular in front of the nurses it gave me a very welcome boost.

Iain finally got around to celebrating his 30th birthday in Bristol on Friday night. It got a little messy. The was a good turn out in the Mall and Iain was plied with shots followed by a customary trip to the Corrie Tap for an exhibition cider or 2. We got to Clifton Triangle and Iain was in a little trouble, unfortunately his night ended early and we took him home around 11. Although was not the only person to miss rowing training on Saturday morning.

It got a even more eventful later on that night. Back out in a club called La Rocca we witnessed 2 people get glassed. Normally this club is quite quiet and I have never seen any trouble in there before. One of Iain's mates who was staying at mine had to give a police statement which took a hour or so. We ended up getting a lift home in a Police Van at 5am!

Saturday was also going to be a busy. It was Ollie Boulter's wedding on the Isle Of Wight. That meant the was no lie in for me and it was up early to get there in time. Really should have had an early night on Friday. Timing was perfect... we ran late and were going to miss the ferry, but it was also running late so we got there in time.

The church was fantastic and both Ollie and Cat looked fantastic. The reception was good food, good speechs and some very cheesy music. MC Hammer and Vanilla Ice were played but I still can't do the dancing justice... but I tried. It was a really good day and night. Congratulations to Ollie and Cat & thanks to both their families for the hospitality. Also thanks to Dean & Sarah for getting me there & back.

It was good to have a weekend off hospital, but I have knackered myself out. Joints have seized up again (this is also probably due to an adjustment in my drugs). I am back to some heavy duty painkillers to help me get around. I see the professor on Wednesday to get an update on where things stand and more of the experimental drug on Thursday. But generally blood counts are ok and I am feeling upbeat and postive about how things are going. I am still trying to have a normalish social life outside of hospital. I really want to start been able to do some training.. I have put on a fair bit of weight and am looking a bit chubby, while I need to put on the weight I need to start building up the muscles again. Hopefully I will be able to do this over the next week or so... Otherwise I better cut down on the pies.

Lastly good luck to Wibbles & Emma who are expecting their first child any time now. Looking forward to seeing what you decide to call it (Wibbles: Goliath is unique, but I don't think Emma will let you name your child that).

Cheers

Robbie

No comments: