Friday 11 April 2008

Discharge (2nd April to 10th April)

No I have not developed another problem. I have been unexpectedly released. If you have read this blog for awhile then you will know that when you are told by a doctor that you are to be released you only believe it when it happens. It started after I updated by blog Wednesday, with a possible release date of the next week... all very open ended and anything can change in the blink of an eye. So I don't pay much attention. On Thursday they tell me I'll be leaving Monday. Again I don't really believe it. Friday they tell me I'm off tomorrow!!! I still don't quite believe it.

For a number of reasons I don't sleep (steroids and I'm to big for the bed). So I pack ready to go, collect paper work from a bored nurse so would be ready to go first thing. Trouble was no one told the doctor on duty. After reviewing my now extensive file he was told by a nurse he stood no chance of keeping me in..

Even better I was told I would be allowed to go watch OB's play in the afternoon. I am allowed to see visitors but need to keep it limited. I am not allowed in shopping centres \ any air conditioned environments. My diet is still restricted, mainly to frozen food as it is least likely to carry infection. Without a freezer in my flat I'm completely dependant on my parents to supply me with food and juice (I'm not allowed tap water).

I am still as weak as a kitten, I can't run (even if it was to get out of the way of a car) legs have no strength and the arms and everything else is pretty similar. My mind is saying get out and exercise but the body is yet to follow. I ordered a bike for the flat and it arrived today. Tomorrow it gets taken for a test drive... Its a shame the tour de France does not start soon so I could cycle along with them. Before the bike arrived I have been going for walks of around 3/4k's, not at any great pace but its a start. Also I have got hold of some light weights to get the upper body going.

As I mentioned before I am having a lot of trouble sleeping. This has given arise to some strange behaviour. I have started making use of this time rather than get frustrated. At 5:40 Monday morning I could be found doing a gym routine in my kitchen. Tuesday morning I was found sorting through travelling photos. The trouble is I don't get tired, it does not seem to effect me during the day (I don't sleep in the afternoons or catch up at any point). Sleep is for wimps...

I'd like to thank Rob Morton (Killer) from OB's for arranging Mass for me. I was touched to see how many people turned up and the support been offered. While I'm not religious in anyway it was a useful time to reflect on what I've been through and what I have to look forward to. 3 weeks ago I could not see where\when I was going to get out of hospital now I feel that I can see the way out!! As you can imagine this brings a very big smile to my face. I know the may be hurdles to clear yet but I feel pretty good, while blood counts are not normal they hopefully will continue to improve.

Anyway I've just seen the Lions tour itinerary has been released. Time to start planning holidays I think.

Thanks for your support... I doubt I could have started to recover\keep spirits high without it.

Robbie

No comments: