Wednesday 2 April 2008

Results Are In! (26th March to 2nd April)

What a difference a week can make. Test results are showing I have no signs of infection. I still have graft vs host disease but this in the long run is a good thing. I have it in my skin which causes itching all over and nettle like stinging marks. To get over this I am covering myself with various creams.. I look like I'm about to swim the channel when I'm done. I could have got graft vs host disease in a lot more serious places, it could have effected lungs or my heart and left me with some long term damage. So I will take itching skin for a few weeks and it reduces the chance of the leukaemia coming back by 2.5 times!!

Other test results have shown that the graft has started to produce more of my own cells. Platelets are been produced for the first time, these are usually the last to be produced. I'm still not producing the normal amount of cells but my body is slowly returning to normal. The doctors as a result have moved me from the full isolation ward and I am allowed out for the afternoons. I'm still under strict rules on who I can see and where I can go. The will still be 50ish days where I'm not allowed in crowded areas and have a restricted diet, after this if all goes well then things will be relaxed after this.

These are initial tests and I will still need confirmations from further blood tests and bone marrow tests. The is a long way to go yet and lots of hurdles that still need to be cleared. So while this is great news it is a still early days and some way of been clear of the disease.

I'm starting to try and do more exercise and will be ordering a gym bike for my flat as well some light weights, this way I can build up my strength at my own pace. This is been alongside increasing my diet. I Olympic bodybuilder would be proud of how many calories I'm starting to consume, yesterday I calculated I consumed around 3000-4000 calories. As long as I match this with exercise then hopefully I will be back to fighting weight soon enough.

All have this has left me very upbeat, but the good news does not end there! Congratulations to both Alex & Amy and Wibbles & Emma in expecting their first child later this year. Although its quite scary imagining a little Millard and Higgs running around.

Lastly Sarah (Dirty) is joining Iain in cycling to Paris, her company HBOS has agreed to double any money she raises so please give generously. (Link added to right of page.. please note the nice cow outfit).

When I am able I'll let you know when I'm able to see more visitors.

Robbie

1 comment:

Silverback said...

THIS IS AWESOME NEWS MATE!!!!