Saturday 19 April 2008

Run Before You Can Walk?


I have been recovering exceptionally well. I have purchased a spinning bike for my flat and some light weights. These are helping my muscles slowly recover. I have been using these and they have made me feel so much stronger and healthier. I started to feel normal again instead of the Leukaemia patient whose muscles have wasted away (also started to forget the 1cm deep hole in my leg still). With all this in mind I was set for a good weekend.

This started very well. Bristol Rugby had arranged for me to watch the game vs Sale in a box. I still cannot go into crowded areas so watching in the terraces is not a good idea. It was very generous of David Powell and I thank Geoff Moon for organising. As well as the rest of the Bristol staff\supporters who have been fantastic during my treatment (and still are been great). I really enjoyed the game despite the result. Thanks again. More rugby on Saturday, I went up to watch Old Bristolian 2's play. After these 2 games and more training on the bike I was left dreaming of getting back onto the pitch. My resolve to up the training and get back as soon as possible was stronger than ever.

I was pleasantly taken back on Sunday. One of my fellow OB's nicknamed "Killer" had arranged for a dedication at a Mass at Clifton Cathedral. I went along with my family not expecting many people to turn up. The turn out was good from current players to people who played for me 3 years ago when I was 2nd team captain. I was quite touched that they had gone out of their way to make it to the service. While I am not religious the service gave me the chance to reflect. I am feeling like I'm beating this disease.. I feel like once this is over I'll be stronger than ever and will be able to appreciate life to the full. The reward of beating this disease will be better than winning any lottery or passing any exam. In a strange way I'm lucky to be able to experience this (either that or too much time in isolation has sent me loopy).

Monday I'm back in hospital for most of the day. I am wondering round with a huge smile on my face feeling pretty invincible despite still been as weak as a kitten. Anyone who knows me well can probably guess what happened next. I was in treatment for most of the day, but when I was released I insisted on popping into a shop in Clifton. Iain waited for me in the car outside and I went and got what I needed and left. Iain had to park on the opposite side of the street in order to avoid blocking traffic. I came out of the shop and got half way across the road. A car was coming and I naturally tried to speed up... It was like I'd been lassoed, the legs stayed put but in slow motion my body lurched forward and started heading towards the payment. After the initial humiliation I scrabble to the side of the road realising my hands are covered in blood. Once at the car I cover up my hands with tissues. These are not deep cuts but it shows that despite my blood counts been good the clotting in my blood is still not normal. In the middle of that road all strength had been taken from me, I felt so vulnerable. I went from feeling invincible back to been weak as a kitten in a second. This was a big downer for me, not only did I now feel weak but stupid. These cuts are a real infection risk and I'd been so careful. Running before I can even walk properly was not the best idea. I was thinking of walking round the Run For Moore course in May (Race For Life for men), but now think that this might be to much, especially as I might be having an operation on my leg the week before.


After Monday's appointment I am not due in hospital until Thursday. I am still limited to where I can go so generally am hanging round the flat and going for daily walks and getting about when possible. My general day will consist of getting up and cycling for an hour then doing roughly an hours light weights. I have now thrown myself into organising a dodgeball competition which I then seem to spend most of the afternoon planning and putting together posters and tournament invites. So far everything has gone well and the tournament will be officially launched on Thursday. I am expecting 20 teams of 6 all in fancy dress should be great fun. Just need to figure out the rules.. If keen to enter drop me an email on rbb_stuart@yahoo.co.uk . I also have had to ban myself from internet shopping, I got a bit carried away buying novelty T-Shirts, DVDs and looking at new exercise equipment which I don't have anywhere to put. I am still however been strong and avoiding daytime TV, however the learning Spanish has been a bit of a disaster.. It seems to be the only thing that can make me go to sleep.


Next week I meet with Professor Marks. I am hoping this will give me an outline to how the treatment has gone, tests & treatment still required. When can I start work again, when will I have an operation on my leg and so on. This happens on Wednesday fingers crossed I get the answers I want.


No comments: