Monday 11 February 2008

COUNTDOWN (4th - 11th Feb)

I am finally due to leave Ward 62 moving on to the bone marrow transplant unit (BMT). I have been a inpatient in Ward 62 since November. I have been through alot on this ward and all the staff have been fantastic in looking after me. Some of their jobs I could never do, yet you never hear them complain they just get on with it. On top of this they manage to keep a cheerful atmosphere that makes life so much easier as a patient. As I leave the ward each nurse wishes me good luck for the transplant.

At the moment my blood counts are better than when I was admitted. I have managed to put on a small amount of weight so am as ready as I'll ever be for the next stage of treatment. On this note I book into the BMT unit for the first time on Friday afternoon. I am due to be given some very expensive drugs. I am assigned a small corner room that will be mine for the next week. The rooms are better equipped than ward 62's with DVD players and radios. I settle in and wait around for doctors to see me then for the drugs to be administered. I end up been stuck in hospital for the majority of the Friday and hope that this does not happen over the weekend otherwise I'll be watching the 6nations in hospital.

I was home by lunchtime both Saturday and Sunday, as the nurses knew I was wanting to watch the rugby they did not hang about. Thats all I'm going to say about the rugby as Scotland's campaign falls apart.

It all kicks off tomorrow. Radiotherapy starts at 9:00 followed up at 3:00. While I want to move on with the treatment I am starting to get a little nervous. However I accidentally bump into a old friend in the BMT unit. They had gone through the transplant and were recovering. Thats where I want to be in 5 weeks time. Just have to remember the end goal is in sight, but like Everest the last push may be the hardest part. Wish me luck for the next week.

Lastly I have added some links on the right of the page. These are for friends who have decided to raise money for various Leukaemia charitys. Thank you to all of you.

Ian & Matt: Cycling the Tour De France
Dean: Running Bath Half Marathon as Snow White
Ben & Liz: Running Bath Half Marathon (Ben aiming for 1hr 45 Liz aiming for sub 2hr)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good luck Robbie!!

When is "day zero" then??

Would you like me to get you a DVD of Englands greatest rugby moments so you can watch it on loop for 6 weeks?!!?

Weaves