Wednesday 20 August 2008

Fairground Attraction

It turns out that its not just Milk Link who have been missing my regular blog updates. Many thanks for every ones messages.

Continuing from the last blog my blood counts have got even more random. First of all they continued the pattern of either having red blood cells and not having white blood cells. However on Thursday my blood counts completely collapsed. Red Blood cells disappeared and my immune system crashed (white blood cells disappeared) as well as platelets going wondering. Usually you go into to hospital and get blood tests and one of the doctors will come and look you over. You know something is up when you get multiple doctors\professors. Quantity of doctors does not necessarily mean that you get answers. The professor is convinced I have a problem with my veins which could be quite serious. The other 2 doctors are convinced its something else but don't know what. Either way they arrange some fairly hardcore treatment for me on the Monday. I need to have a minimum of a 9 hour drip on Monday and probably every day next week.

The blood count collapse as well as the need to be in hospital 8am Monday morning unfortunately means that heading to Stokesys wedding is not an option. I would have had to get the train across London Monday morning including a trip on the tube, this is to dangerous for my immune system and I doubt I'd make it to the hospital in time. Also with no red blood cells I would get tired very quickly and if I was over active it could be a little dangerous. Bugger I can't go. I don't like missing friends big events but in this case I have to consider my health first.

I did manage to pop out on Saturday night. This was more of a fact that I can't bare to sit in on a Saturday night. Took it easy sitting in the corners of Racks avoiding crowds. Chatted to several people I have not seen for awhile. Was a well needed distraction from the weeks activities and did some good in relieving the annoyance at missing Stokesys wedding.

As long as I know that I have to be in I don't really mind, its all part of the course. The Olympics have provided a brilliant distraction while in hospital anyway. Its been called in unexpected or ending up in hospital longer than you think that becomes annoying. When it happens the other way round its quite good. I'm sure the nurses have started to manage my expectations. Initially I was told that I was going to be in hospital until around 10 - 11ish (pm). With this news I sent round a speculative text to get some visitors in the evening. However I was released around 7ish. As a result instead of an evening in hospital I ended up going for dinner with the Millards, Julia and Will (King of Lao). A nice unexpected turn around. Tuesday I am meant to be be in all day. Again I get released early. I'm still however due in for at least another 2 days.

This weekend is Ollie Boulter's stag. I am hopefully going to be able to make it, but will have to make the call based on Thursdays blood counts. They have improved significantly this week but as has been proved over the last 2 weeks this can change each day. The only thing I can do is take things day by day and hope for the best. I really don't want to miss another big event of the summer but as I said earlier I may need to consider my health first. Fingers crossed.

Cheers for keeping reading, hope bad weather is not getting you down.. Summer is just around the corner.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for keeping the Blog updated-I hope you realise that there are a lot of people out there from all over the place thinking of you and throwing positive vibes your way!
We regularly check-as well as the updates from your auld fella(golf not getting any better-but he better be in good shape for Saturday-he's partnering me-god love him!)
Keep fighting and live off the good bits!