Sunday 25 November 2007

Admission: (Sun-Tues)

Temperatures are high, end up back in hospital. They are trying to find the source of the infections, I now have a huge double chin so would have thought it would be quite obvious by now. I’m booked in for the day to monitor how the infections go, temperatures are all in the high 8’s. The thing is with infections you are never just in for 1 day… Temperature peaks at 39.3 in the evening and have a night of cold sweats followed later by burning up 20 min later.

Monday brings no respite, antibiotics start at 6:00am but the infection, as soon this is finished I’m taken to the dental hospital no time to shower or anything. Annoy all others in the queues by stating my name at reception and her saying wait there and me then been greeted by 3 dentists and lead away.

I see yet another doctor who looks at my file & whats happened previously. See then turns to me like it’s the first time I’ve been through this, “you need your Wisdom tooth out”. Yes, I’ve been saying that for weeks, so shy was it not taken out last Thursday… she replies I just need to speak to my boss. A surgeon eventually appears and just takes one look the xray and one look at me, “we operate this afternoon, wisdom tooth and drain to be put in,” then wonders off. This is explained to me after as been put under general atheistic to have both the wisdom tooth taken out and a small metal drain into my neck. I try to get them to admit the whole procedure on the previous Thursday was a waste of time, the dentist dealing with me clearly knows this so keeps changing the subject. It’s a bit of a told you so.. but far more of a why did I not push them harder and get a more senior dentist than the 2 dealing with me. Lesson learnt don’t back down to theses dentist they know their fields etc but they don’t know your body.

The preparation for surgery may be complicated as they do not know if my jaw will open under atheistic, these not only could cause trouble getting oxygen in but also access to the tooth itself. Before I know if I’m shuffled around wards and waiting to be taken into surgery. They give you a very attractive hospital gown and for some reason green stockings with holes in, no one could explain why this was to me. General Atheistic is easy one minute your imagining a beach and counting to 10 next you be disappointed to know you don’t wake up on the beach but in another part of the hospital. I’m transferred to a post op high dependency ward due to the leukaemia, this does not mean car crash victims or others in a bad way, it actually means the extreme elderly who can’ look after themselves. I’m stuck here as nurses on Ward 62 have no experience of dealing with drains. Everyone else here is 80ish. I soon find out I’m the only one not to have lived through WW2. Been in a ward like this brings a few surprises. 1st of all after one bout of my antibiotics I’m asked “what year is it? Then who is the prime minister?” I questioned if it was necessary to ask me those questions and apparently they are standard (I did not get asked again) However 1 other patient found a novel way round it.. when asked the prime minister he answered “well that depends if we are in England or Austria?) Nurses here do there best, this ward is not as clean or as smoothly running as ward 62. I’m actually looking forward to getting back to ward 62.

Drain comes out Tues afternoon, should be able to get back to ward 62 tomorrow.

No comments: