Saturday 17 November 2007

Liquid Lunch

I have another rough day on Wednesday, I am prescribed some very strong painkillers to deal with. These take effect by the evening and I'm able to sleep. All other drugs I'm on are stopped.

Thursday I am booked into get teeth sorted out. I go in, it should be a fairly quick process. However the dentists get themselves into a fuss regarding the drugs I have been on, how this should have been done before I started chemotherapy (it couldn't because all my blood counts were so low). They end up taking out one of my top teeth.. this was not what I was expecting but after questioning I'm assured it will stop the swelling in my mouth.

I manage just to eat solids for Thursday and Friday but the swelling increases on Saturday, I'm now on a liquid diet. I can't even manage to eat a small amount of bread. With the gap in Chemo I actually have my taste back as well... Is really annoying I'll be able to taste my food for a window of a few days but I am limited to soup, milkshakes and smoothies. I'm really not sure they have fixed the issue in the dental hospital. If it does not clear up next week I'll be really annoyed with them as the will not be another chance to get teeth seen to for at least 4 weeks as blood counts will be to low.

Friday was the start of treatment again. I was in for lumber punctures these go smoothly but once they are done you are stuck on your back for 2 hours. I learn a little Spanish while been regularly checked up on by the nurses. My temperature is fluctuating rapidly it goes from 36.5 to 38 within these 2 hours. I'm kept in for longer to monitor the situation, temperature drops back down to 37.5. I'm let home but only just. I need to monitor my temperature half hourly at home. I will be in hospital again if it hits 38. Extra blood samples are taken to check for infection, in particularly they check the my permanent lines for infection.

Bristol rugby pop into see me on Saturday morning, they bring me a Bristol shirt with initials on it. They also bring me some dvd's of Bristol games. Apparently quite a few people have been asking how I'm doing at the club as well, they would like to put an update on the website. We take some very cheesy photos to go with this. Also can promote CLIC (National Blood Service are a nightmare to deal in terms of arranging promotions with so have decided to help CLIC out with any coverage that I get). Its quite a good lift for a Saturday morning.

Temperatures are still erratic on Saturday, I don't risk going to watch any OB's games. I get a phone call in the evening and a infection has been found in my line. I need to now go in on Sunday to start antibiotic treatments. Its strange.. my blood counts are the highest they have been since they have been measured, I'd taken myself of all painkillers and apart from issues with my jaw am feeling the best I have for weeks. Hopefully I'll be in and out for the antibiotics, but if temperatures continue to fluctuate I may be kept in.... Fingers crossed I'm not.

No comments: