Sunday 11 November 2007

Asleep, Dazed, Confused & Uplifting

I have chosen to try and write my blog twice a week, so please do not worry if nothing appears for a day or so. (thanks to those who expressed concern as the was a bit of a break). I would try and post on a regular day but can't guarantee how I will feel or if I'll have time.

Its been a extremely tough week of treatment. The list of drugs in my system is now silly.

  • Ciprofloxin, (antibiotic)
  • Prednisolene (steroids)
  • Randindone (anti acid)
  • Allopurinal (side effects)
  • Co-Trimoxazole (??)
  • Meltronizyde (antibiotics)
  • Ambisome (anti-fungal)
  • L-Asparaginase (Chemo)
  • VCR (Chemo)
  • DNR (Chemo)
  • Lumber Punctures (Chemo)

This is while refusing to take any of the anti sickness tablets. This is another reason why not to update the blog on a daily basis as it would turn into a drugs and treatment top trumps.

All of the treatment has taken its toll on me. I have so little energy to do anything. Thursday I have a full day in and out of hospital. I have to go to the dental hospital to have tooth looked at, then have an afternoon of treatment on ward 62. The dental hospital is crowded and one of the last places I want to be. I end up finding the seat with the most room and spreading myself as far and wide as possible so no one trys to sit next to me. It does not really work. The dentist is quite efficient and I am in xrayed seen to and advised that my wisdom teeth may need removed. The gums have swelled up around them causing the pain in my mouth and ear. Some temporary work is done to relieve pressure and this helps relieve the pain in my ears. Some kind of a result. If my blood counts are good next week the may be a window to get the teeth removed. Could be a good result. After the afternoon I'm completely exhausted for the day. This carrys through to Friday. I have so little energy even moving to drink is an effort.

I have to admit at this point I'm half asleep, dazed and confused to what is going on. This state of almost complete inability is not natural. I am as weak as a kitten, from someone who is used to strapping up most injuries and playing on feel completely helpless. This is downheartning. However at these points funny things tend to happen. I have managed to log on email from my bed and at the point when I'm starting to feel sorry for myself I get a message from Milk Link. Followed by the delivery of several get well cards. This is completely unexpected and provides me with all the lift I need. I cannot thank those who keep sending me messages enough as they do make all of the difference in getting me through this.

The doctors I think have seen some sense, they know the European Cup is on this weekend.. they give me the entire weekend off as I think they know I'll be a nightmare if they try and keep me in. Also will allow me to go watch OB's 2's at home, if I feel up for it.

A few friends pop round on Friday night to watch Gloucester beat Ulster, is a good game and a very welcome distraction. Nose bleeds have started now, trouble is with the low blood counts once they start the blood does not clot.. You end up with a almost constant nose bleed. That combined with the increased sense of smell means you also get a fairly unpleasant smell most of the time.

My Dad arranges for my car to be advertised for sale, I won't need a car for awhile. Surprisingly it is sold to the first person who looks at it. Get full asking price, this is unexpected and great news. Another good lift.

I make it up for the OB's game, under strict instructions to wrap up warm, sit down, drink lots and don't shout to much. The opposition are incredibly week. Records are made to be broken and I think the final score is 74 - 3. I think that this beats my record when I was captain. Is a entertaining game although a bit of a piss take. After the game I take a few photos of the team. They get me involved in a few of them and I manage to demonstrate how weak I really am at the end I go to get up and if it was not for leaning on someone else I would have ended up face down in the mud. I'm not sure people at the club realised what condition I was in.. they might do now.

Saturday night I manage to break a 4 week record for sleep.. I manage 4 hours!! This is good.. However as I'm not used to sleeping this long I'm then awake. Awake for rest of the night.

Sunday I am a bit of a mess. I have no energy again, can't do much at all. Make it out of bed for 1:00 to watch Bristol vs Cardiff. While I am struggling Amy & Alex pop round and give me a boost. Amy's work mates have been reading the blog. Some of them have been through similar and knowing that they recognise the problems etc is uplifting. I am on and off asleep for rest of day but feel fairly good in myself that the blog is been used by others that I don't even know and they are to some extent enjoying it.

My parents have been looking after me this week, I must apologise for occasionally been impatient and not very helpful.. This is no reflection on the help you have been to me in the week but is just a side effect of tiredness and the drugs. I do appreciate everything that you do for me.

Also thank you all so much for supporting me through this keep the messages coming as I do read everyone and appreciate each message.

Cheers

Robbie

No comments: