Sunday 7 October 2007

3 Pints Later

Last night I was given my first blood transfusion. I have a tube now attached to my left hand. It looks like I might have this for awhile. Its a strange feeling, the first bit of solution sends a cold feeling up into my veins. The first transfusion starts at midnight, it last 3 hours with this and the hospital noises I don't sleep and end up reflecting on what has happened.. Think for a few hours how grateful I am to whomever provided this blood without it people on this ward would never make it through their treatments.. Why have I never given blood??

Nurses come round at 6:00 to take blood pressure, temperature etc. This will come to form part of a daily routine. The next pint of blood is attached to me. The pump is plugged in to the wall, as the ward is full of long timers, not much is explained to me. I assume I'm bed bound. Until I see Colin wonder by attached to a drip. I know my parents will be flying in soon. I don't want them to see me with a bag of blood attached. I ask Iain to delay them, at least then I can present a healthy image. Unfortunately another bag is required this will take me up to 12:00.

Mum & Dad arrive, they seem to relieved to see that I actually still look well. They have been researching. I don't want to know. The are many types, possibilities and test results to come back. So much pf the information they are now talking about could be irrelevant it just serves to fuel uncertainty.

I tell my parents what has happened and what I know so far. I'm not expecting to find out much more today as the consultants are not expected to be in until tomorrow. So I am surprised when he turns up to see me. I ask to speak to him alone before speaking to my parents.. I want to be able to take in any bad news before telling Mum & Dad.

The is so much to take in. I have Acute Lymphoblastic Leukaemia (ALL). In all honesty I don't care what its called but just want to know how to get rid of it. I'm talked through the stages of treatment. I will be having Chemotherpy within the week. The initial treatment will take 8 weeks and get the leukaemia to remission. The is a 90% chance of been able to do this. Thats good right... Without further treatment it will come back and will be harder to get rid of. Long term survival rates are 50%.. How do I get on the right side of that stat.

The treatment options after remission will vary, Iain & Helen are going to be checked to see if they have a tissue match. Very thankful for having brother and sister right now.

Still so many unknowns, how I respond to treatment, infections, further tests etc. The doctors cannot tell how it will effect me, every treatment is different and all people react differently. The only thing to do is take each stage step by step.

I can take all this in. As I'd prepared for the worse most of this is expected. Its time to go through this with the parents. The research my Dad has done means he asks further questions. The doctors don't have answers yet... A few points clearly get to them, I just hold it together through this and am relieved that its over.

I'm taken for an xray and get a few hours break from parents, they come back later to watch rugby. My dad has been on the whiskey to calm his nerves. It will go down as the worse place that I will ever watch Scotland play rugby. We watch it in the quiet room. Scotland make far to many mistakes to cause Argentina any worries. They do manage a good try. Dad jumps up and celebrates and then realises where he is. A nurse comes in to see what is going on.. Most excitement on this ward for awhile. Scotland lose.. not my lucky weekend.

No comments: