Tuesday 30 October 2007

Backrow Battles

Any illusions that I can breeze through the treatment are gone... I knew I had been lucky so far but the latest round has taken its toll. I had a new Chemotherapy on Saturday, I did not like it one bit. Went into a cold sweat mid way through the injections. This one was directly into muscles and gave me 2 dead legs to remind me of it after. Did not feel good for rest of evening. I missed Ronan's stag... although had plenty of photo updates and managed to implement a few fines and a no hands soup. I'm pretty gutted to be missing out on the banter, Saturday nights are going to be dull for awhile yet and I'm going to be such a lightweight when I get back on it. I will need to think of some ways to distract myself for the coming weekends.

Temperature is high. Risen above 37d for the first time, it continues to rise and I barely have the energy to move. I can't sleep but can't keep my eyes open, its a complete limbo. Gums have started bleeding (this is a normal side effect which I knew would come). It feels like I've been in a drunken brawl and come out second best.. Temperature keeps rising. You can feel the pressure of the drugs building in your system but the is very little you can do about it. However I manage to find a way of cheating my way out of it.. normally I never drink any caffeine but find that I can wake myself up for around 2 hours then sleep using it. Using this I manage to enjoy Bristol vs Llanelli then pass out. Temperature is now 37.8. I phone the hospital if it rises once more I will have to be admitted tonight and given antibiotics to get rid of any infection asap. Defiantly made right decision not to pop into Ronan's or Dirty's party.

While I may feel like crap... this is good. I've managed to get through 3 weeks of chemotherapy without feeling that bad. I've got momentum on my opposite number the treatment is hurting both me and the disease. My swollen jaw just reminds me that when I'm playing well the opposition always get a few punchs in as you disrupt and steal ball. I'm in for a fight but everytime I feel bad it is hurting the disease more. Seeing the fight in these terms makes it a lot easier for me to deal with.

Tempreture falls and manage to avoid hospital for the night. I am in tomorrow for more chemotherapy, wake up feeling a lot better. I get a full check over by a consultant in the hospital... I don't trust him. His favorite phrase is self-diagnoises. I think he is blagging and does not know what he is talking about, he has not told me anything useful anytime he has seen me.
I actually trust the junior doctors and nurses more than him. My consultant is not back from holiday yet, I'm still awaiting test results but the is no way I'm going to discuss them with the stand in consultant.

No comments: