Monday 8 October 2007

Welcome Distractions

Hospital is no place for me, woken at 6:00 for routine observations. Once awake you may as well get up and wonder around. But the is nowhere to go. After 2 min you have said hello to all the nurses circled the ward and are back at square 1. Trouble is the doctors have told me this is to be my home for the next 3 weeks..

As I was first up the doctors decided to get all my tests out of the way. A further bone marrow is required. Think the doctor this time is more practiced and it is over quickly. As I know what is coming up even manage to read the sport in the paper for the majority of it. Following this another doctor wonders in to take blood. My arms are fast becoming pin cusions.

I get the first visitor of the day. Phil The Bear is waiting for me once I leave the treatment room. News is spreading fast through Bristol and beyond. We chat and tend to avoid conversation about the Leukaemia. Helen arrives she flys back to Glasgow today, Get a phone call from Australia from Weaver & Claire, followed shortly by a phone call from my Aunt. The rest of the day is a revolving door of visitors arriving and leaving. It is the best medicine I could have at the moment best distraction that I could have. I had planned to read papers and get through a few books but in the end I don't have the time.

I've had to cancel going to Dubai for the sevens, Rob The Tan comes in and has a plan to replace me on the tour. I will be there in spirit and amasing tour fines. I will have to make up for it next year when I can make it again.

Finish the day chatting to other patients, they are all quite jealous. The BRI centre is one of the main centres in the UK. People come from far and wide to be treated here (some have even relocated). As I only live a few miles away and most of my friends are close by I will have no shortage of support and distractions.

No comments: